16 April 2012

Miguel Angel on Food

Since I last wrote about my student Miguel Angel (see previous post here), I've gotten a few more private class students, including a couple of dynamic brother/sister duos and an adorable English-speaking three-year-old. Miguel Angel, however, continues to be my most entertaining student. I see most of my students on a weekly basis, but with Miguel Angel and his brother, Jesus, I come twice a week for a couple hours. I feel like I know a lot about them now - like Jesus' love of fantasy novels (especially ones that involve time travel), or how Miguel Angel likes chorizo and ham, but not bacon, and how he loves all types of cheese, even though he can't name any of them besides Manchego.  

Today while studying for an English test, Miguel Angel came up with some pretty amazing drawings:


Just a few things I'd like to point out: 

1. The face at the top is "Food-Man." As the name indicates, he is a man made entirely of food. Those are "biscuits" (or cookies, in American English) for ears, lettuce for hair, eggs for eyes, bacon for nose, ketchup for mouth, and an ice cream cone as a body.

2. In the bottom right corner, you'll see a Martian holding cheese and bacon. Enough said.

3. Towards the bottom of the list of foods on the left you can see Miguel Angel's first attempts at writing "juice." The first one is "chus" (him trying to sound it out) and the second "lluasi" (him trying to write letters that I pronounced in English; J-U-I-C-E became LL-U-A-S-I). English is hard! 

4. See the ham? He draws a pretty mean ham.

After the drawing and writing practice we played Hangman and then sang a couple rounds of "Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" just for good measure. On days like this I think I have a pretty fun job. Thanks Miguel Angel! 

2 comments:

  1. what awesome drawings!! he sounds like a very smart boy!

    ReplyDelete